Alpine Security CTO, “Doc” Sewell, describes his obsession with computers, programming, and cybersecurity from elementary school until now.
Hacking seemed like an arcane art, only mastered by those willing to spend years pouring over dusty tomes of x86 assembly language manuals and protocol RFCs. It did not occur to us that many of the vulnerabilities could be exploited by anyone with basic web development coding skills and the willingness to spend a few hours on research. One of these mysterious incantations was the dreaded “SQL Injection” attack. What exactly could one do with a SQL Injection attack, anyway? No one was quite sure, but since our software was going into a secure military installation, we were pretty sure that the perimeter defenses would prevent anyone from harming it.
Penetration testing, also known as ethical hacking, is one of the hottest jobs in tech today. What other career lets you pretend you’re in The Matrix, working your way into systems like a top-level hacker, all without breaking any laws. Oh, and you’re getting paid for it.With a real-world penetration testing job, though, you’re not just playing at hacking into systems. You actually are hacking into systems, and your employer’s very existence may depend on your ability to do it.
Web applications are the critical systems of many networks. They store, process, and transmit data. They are also vulnerable to hackers who can find vulnerabilities. So, the question becomes how secure is your network? And how comprehensively has it been tested?
EC-Council has recently announced major revisions to several of their training certification programs. What are the differences between CEH v9 and CEH v10?
Offline Password Cracking is an attempt to recover one or more passwords from a password storage file that has been recovered from a target system. Typically, this would be the Security Account Manager (SAM) file on Windows, or the /etc/shadow file on Linux. In most cases, Offline Password Cracking will require that an attacker has already attained administrator / root level privileges on the system to get to the storage mechanism.
Online password cracking has advantages and disadvantages. It is effective if executed properly. There are numerous defenses to prevent attackers from cracking your passwords.
ECSA Certification review by Daniel Sewell, Sr. Penetration Tester for Alpine Security. The EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA) certification consists of both a hands-on practical penetration test and a multiple choice exam.
Armitage (Metasploit GUI) makes hacking easy. All you need is a vulnerable target and a working exploit in Metasploit. The “Hail Mary” tries all potential exploits against a target, requiring you to know next to nothing about the vulnerabilities or exploits.
Connect with Us
- At Risk: Medical Device Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities Expose Patients to Life-threatening Consequences
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Fractional CISO
- Why Private Cybersecurity Training Matters for Your Organization
- Is the CEH Certification Right For You?
- Internal Penetration Test vs Vulnerability Assessment: Which is Right for You?
- Best Beginner Cybersecurity Certification to Get
- Over-complicating Risk in Cybersecurity
- Hacking Medical Devices for Profit, Terror, Assassination, and Enemy Advancement
- Penetration Testing for Compliance: The Top 5 Laws and Regulations that Require Testing
- Securing Medical Devices – Is it Possible?
- The State of Small Business Cybersecurity in 2020
- Medical Device Security: Patient Safety Takes Precedence Over Privacy
- Hidden Costs of the Small Business Data Breach
- The Myth of the Cybersecurity Skills Gap
- Black Box Penetration Testing Explained