Alpine Security CTO, “Doc” Sewell, describes his obsession with computers, programming, and cybersecurity from elementary school until now.
There are pioneers in every profession, and computer hacking is no exception. In fact, because literally, anybody with the right tech setup can launch their hacking career, the stories of famous hackers are often less glamorous than most people might expect.
In selecting the top 10 hacker movies for our list, we had some internal discussion (because as techies, we’re obviously the best ones to judge), and came up with these as the must-see films.
Over the decades, cybercrime has evolved, branching out into many strains. There are black hat hackers – (the criminally motivated). crackers, (those breaking into systems to steal information), hacktivists, (infiltrators of computer systems to use them as platforms for public movements), and script kiddies, defined by WiseGeek.com as “teenagers who use readily available tools written by experienced hackers to deface websites or break into computer systems, usually done for peer recognition and attention.”
The cybersecurity world is replete with creative portmanteaus, so it pays to at least familiarize yourself with the most common ones you might encounter.
Many assume that “cyber” is a portmanteau derived from other words, but it’s not. Here’s a look at where the word cyber came from, the evolution of its usage, and a glimpse at the debate among the technical community on what it means and how to phrase it.
Connect with Us
- At Risk: Medical Device Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities Expose Patients to Life-threatening Consequences
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Fractional CISO
- Why Private Cybersecurity Training Matters for Your Organization
- Is the CEH Certification Right For You?
- Internal Penetration Test vs Vulnerability Assessment: Which is Right for You?
- Best Beginner Cybersecurity Certification to Get
- Over-complicating Risk in Cybersecurity
- Hacking Medical Devices for Profit, Terror, Assassination, and Enemy Advancement
- Penetration Testing for Compliance: The Top 5 Laws and Regulations that Require Testing
- Securing Medical Devices – Is it Possible?
- The State of Small Business Cybersecurity in 2020
- Medical Device Security: Patient Safety Takes Precedence Over Privacy
- Hidden Costs of the Small Business Data Breach
- The Myth of the Cybersecurity Skills Gap
- Black Box Penetration Testing Explained