Penetration testing, also known as ethical hacking, is one of the hottest jobs in tech today. What other career lets you pretend you’re in The Matrix, working your way into systems like a top-level hacker, all without breaking any laws. Oh, and you’re getting paid for it.With a real-world penetration testing job, though, you’re not just playing at hacking into systems. You actually are hacking into systems, and your employer’s very existence may depend on your ability to do it.
You’ve probably seen leetspeak, also known as 1337 or “l33t,” somewhere on the Internet or in a movie about computer hacking. It’s essentially regular English, but with more hacker slang and with certain letters changed to numbers. In this blog, we cover the history of leetspeak and how it applies to you.
Penetration testing, also known as pen testing, is an ethical hacking tactic that helps companies protect themselves. Penetration testers try to break into clients’ digital systems to find weaknesses before a black hat hacker does. This is a growing field as companies seek to prevent the high profile data breaches that have happened in recent years. The top penetration testing certifications can help you get into this field.
Penetration testing has been around since human beings first began trying to understand their enemies’ thought processes. Ancient armies all over the world conducted mock battles and games to figure out how other armies might undermine their strategies or get around their forces. This continued for centuries upon centuries until, inevitably, the tech world got in on the act.
In selecting the top 10 hacker movies for our list, we had some internal discussion (because as techies, we’re obviously the best ones to judge), and came up with these as the must-see films.
This blog demonstrates how to download PowerShell Empire, a post-exploitation tool, in Kali Linux, create a script, make a connection back to your machine from the victim machine without Windows Defender blocking it, elevate privileges, and extract password hashes using Mimikatz. It is a versatile and useful tool that every penetration tester should have in their arsenal.
The OSCP certification is great for individuals with several years of experience in system administration, networking, or software development, who wish to learn “elite hacking skills.” The LPT (Master) is great for those who want to pursue penetration testing as a career and who are looking for a certification that demonstrates that they can complete a realistic penetration test simulation on their own.
Online password cracking has advantages and disadvantages. It is effective if executed properly. There are numerous defenses to prevent attackers from cracking your passwords.
Black Box Penetration Testing tests a target with little to no prior knowledge about the target environment. Despite the best efforts of vulnerability scanning tools, they often miss critical vulnerabilities and major issues. These missed vulnerabilities can be exploited by attackers to gain full control of your environment. A Black Box Penetration Test identifies additional vulnerabilities and security issues. If minimizing cybersecurity risk is a goal, both a vulnerability scan and a Black Box Penetration Test are recommended.
ECSA Certification review by Daniel Sewell, Sr. Penetration Tester for Alpine Security. The EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA) certification consists of both a hands-on practical penetration test and a multiple choice exam.
Connect with Us
- Cybersecurity and a Remote Workforce: What Does the Future Look Like?
- 6 Penetration Testing Trends to Have on Your Cybersecurity Radar
- Hiring a CISO-as-a-Service? Ask These 8 Questions
- Incorporating Privacy and Security by Design into MedTech
- What is the Difference Between CMMC, DFARS, and NIST 800-171?
- At Risk: Medical Device Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities Expose Patients to Life-threatening Consequences
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Fractional CISO
- Why Private Cybersecurity Training Matters for Your Organization
- Is the CEH Certification Right For You?
- Internal Penetration Test vs Vulnerability Assessment: Which is Right for You?
- Best Beginner Cybersecurity Certification to Get
- Over-complicating Risk in Cybersecurity
- Hacking Medical Devices for Profit, Terror, Assassination, and Enemy Advancement
- Penetration Testing for Compliance: The Top 5 Laws and Regulations that Require Testing
- Securing Medical Devices – Is it Possible?